AliExpress and DHgate are well-known as online marketplaces. They offer access to countless products from suppliers all over the world, including China.
Both services equally have a variety of products, which makes them attractive to clients. Many shoppers often get confused when deciding between these two platforms. They might offer same features. However, AliExpress and DHgate have their distinct differences.
We are going to compare the two to settle on the better option. We will evaluate their customer service, safety, and shipping, among many other factors. In the end, you will have a better clue on making the right selection.
What Is AliExpress?
Alibaba Group, a Chinese multinational conglomerate, owns AliExpress. It came to life in 2010, and has helped many businesses and individuals to trade goods across borders. It is similar to eBay and Amazon marketplaces that offer several products.
AliExpress has over 5 million sellers, mainly from China. It also boasts of a mass number of overseas active buyers, averaging 150 million people.
Clients take advantage of the competitive pricing, low shipping charges, and wide product selection offered by AliExpress to advance their international trade. You can get over 100 million products on AliExpress. They have a wider selection of languages, at 12, as compared to DHgate.
What Is DHgate?
On the flip side, DHgate is older than AliExpress, as it was established in 2004. It connects buyers across borders with wholesale stores in China. You can purchase in bulk at lower price points using DHgate.
The platform has over 2 million sellers and above 25 million cross-border buyers from different destinations all over the world. Choose from 9 different languages on DHgate.
It has a wide range of product categories that suit different clientele needs. You can get over 20 million products on DHgate. Their B2B platform is not only efficient, but also secure when making wholesale transactions. There are millions of products from a wide range of sellers verified by DHgate.
Get to compare different specifications and prices and use your most-preferred payment method on DHgate.
AliExpress vs DHgate: What’s the Difference?
We can agree that AliExpress and DHgate have a strong similarity, which is connecting traders and businesses all over the world. However, they have their differences, which we will look at here.
While AliExpress primarily offers its services to individual consumers, DHgate focuses on small and medium-sized businesses. The latter concentrates on wholesale orders. Thus, the major difference between AliExpress and DHgate is their target audience.
Here are other notable differences between the two marketplaces:
As a dropshipper, you do know that product pricing isn’t the final determinant. While favorable price almost immediately sounds better, it is not necessarily the case.
Still, individual sellers on both platforms have their distinct prices – some lower, some higher.
To ensure you’re getting full value for money, evaluate the prices from other e-commerce websites against DHgate and AliExpress.
Here are three product comparisons on both DHgate and AliExpress to help you make a more informed decision.
1. LED Atmosphere RGB Light
We have recently found that LED Atmosphere RGB Light is very popular. So, we analyzed the product on AliExpress and DHgate .
As shown above, LED Atmosphere RGB Light sells for $34.70 per unit on AliExpress.
On DHgate, LED Atmosphere RGB Light sells for $36.85 a piece, compared with $33.59 for 5 pieces and $32.41 for 15 pieces.
It seems that DHgate is more likely to promote their B2B, where they want customers to buy in bulk.
2. LED Makeup bag
People are always curious about new things, so the LED Makeup bag has become a popular search. We have selected the following products for you to compare.
The LED makeup bag costs $45.09 on AliExpress, and shipping is free.
On DHgate, one LED makeup bag sells for $46.03, compared with $42.85 for 4 pieces and $40.89 for 13 pieces.
3. Super absorbent kitchen mat
The last product to compare prices is Super absorbent kitchen mat.
When we compared kitchen mat prices on DHgate and AliExpress, we found little difference between the two.
They both have different patterns and different sizes to choose from. But there’s not much difference in price. Still, if you want to buy in bulk, DHgate has an advantage.
If you have a large quantity purchase, it would make more sense using DHgate. You’ll most likely get a better deal there than on any other platform.
Businesses save money on discount incentives on bulk orders through DHgate. Note that other factors can swing the prices on both platforms, and they include taxes and shipping costs.
Both platforms have free and paid shipping options. Some factors that can determine the shipping time include the destination country, shipping method, and the seller’s location. There’s a range of shipping options in both platforms.
The shipping method that you select will determine how fast the process takes. Besides, local delivery networks and customs clearance can also affect the time you receive goods.
DHgate has several shipping methods including Air Mail, Fed Ex, China Post Registered Air Mail, DHL, and ePacket, among many others.
On the flip side, AliExpress has a ton of shipping methods as well, including China Post Registered Air Mail, AliExpress standard shipping, and ePacket, USPS, among many others. AliExpress standard shipping is free but will take longer. With AliExpress standard shipping, you can expect delivery anywhere between 15 and 30 days.
For a faster shipping time with AliExpress, you might want to consider express shipping. Nonetheless, you should be ready to pay higher rates for this arrangement.
DHgate offers shorter shipping times for bulk orders. This can be anywhere between a few days and a couple of weeks. The shipping method and product will still have a role to play in determining how long it takes.
Note that there’s unpredictability when it comes to shipping, especially across borders. Have every factor in consideration as you make a decision.
Nevertheless, AliExpress has a clearer estimated time of arrival while DHgate opts for a range of days that you can expect your order to arrive.
With DHgate, there are a ton of payment methods, including Credit Card, DHPay, Wire Transfer, and many others. Their payment system is secure and fast.
On the other hand, AliExpress uses Credit Cards, AliExpress pocket (virtual wallet), bank transfers, PayPal, WebMoney, Google Pay, and many others.
Accepted payment methods on both platforms will highly depend on the country from which you’re making a purchase.
There are several product categories on both DHgate and AliExpress. There’s practically everything you’re looking for.
With AliExpress, you have a money-back guarantee. In case you don’t receive your order, or it isn’t what you anticipated, you will get a complete refund. DHgate equally offers a full or partial refund if the item you receive doesn’t meet your expectations.
You can expect money back in about 15 days after refund. For DHgate, it takes a lot more time to process refunds.
AliExpress vs DHgate: Which Is Better for Product Sourcing?
If you are going to do Dropshipping. The following will help you:
Learn the Type of Business
While AliExpress is ideal for B2C (Business to Consumer), DHgate is appropriate for B2B (Business to Business) and B2C (Business to Consumer) models.
DHgate is, therefore, ideal for single-piece and higher quantity orders. At the same time, you can use both websites to meet your product sourcing needs.
Minimum Order Quantity
AliExpress doesn’t have an MOQ since its model is business to consumer. DHgate, on the flip side, has a few products with MOQ.
Discounts on Bulk Orders
You can get higher discounts on DHgate as a dropshipper. On AliExpress, you have to negotiate with individual sellers for discounts.
Both sites are present in Android and IOS modes with easy-to-use apps. You can get mobile-only discounts on some products.
Both DHgate and AliExpress have their Dropshipping centers. They also both have their product recommendations for Dropshipping.
Coupons and Discounts
Both sites have discounts on most of their products throughout the year. This is a customer retention mechanism. The product price is adjusted based on the coupon amount.
DHgate New Buyer Coupon Pack
AliExpress, to be precise, has crazy discounts during their international shopping festival labeled “single’s day” or “11.11 Sale.” It is celebrated every 11th November.
Woocommerce and Shopify Integrations
AliExpress has more modifications and features for automated Dropshipping, even though both platforms have Shopify and Woocommerce integrations.
AliExpress vs DHgate Dropshipping: Which is better?
Both AliExpress and DHgate have their unique pros and cons. The choice of which one is better will depend on individual preferences and needs. In a nutshell, here’s a list of the primary factors to consider when making a choice:
- Branding: AliExpress has customized packaging and branding for products you purchase.
- Customer support: while both platforms have a robust customer service team, AliExpress has a 24/7 live chat team.
- Charges and fees: fees and charges vary on both platforms and will depend on a host of factors.
- Product quality and selection mechanism: both platforms have a huge basket of products that you can purchase at pocket-friendly pricing. The quality, however, varies. Before you choose a supplier, we recommend reading reviews and carrying out a personal research.
- Discounts on bulk orders: you can get huge discounts on massive orders through DHgate. On the other hand, you can also negotiate with sellers on AliExpress for discounts.
Advantages of AliExpress for Dropshipping
AliExpress is a popular choice for Dropshipping because of the following factors:
- Buyer protection: In case of any defects in the products you buy, delays, or any other pertinent issues, you’re eligible for a refund from AliExpress.
- Flexible shipping: from affordable to fast and expensive, there are different shipping options to choose from.
- Reliable supply chain: its extensive network of suppliers who have delivered goods to millions all over the world ensures that you can count on AliExpress.
- Ease of use: it’s not overly complicated like some Dropshipping options on the market. AliExpress has several tools that make the entire process of product sourcing and delivery painless.
- Low pricing: get goods at competitive prices and make a profit when you sell them.
- A variety of products: there’s a mass availability of products on AliExpress to choose from. There’s something for everyone.
Disadvantages of AliExpress for Dropshipping
While there are plenty of reasons to use AliExpress for Dropshipping, there are also a few reasons not to take this path. Here are some of the disadvantages of using AliExpress:
- Import taxes and customs fees: this will hugely depend on the destination country. Different countries have varying fees and taxes. Often, this leads to businesses transferring the cost to their customers.
- Language barriers: while a majority of suppliers on AliExpress speak fluent English, some may have a bit of a challenge, which can lead to delays and misunderstandings.
- Competition: with the presence of numerous suppliers on the AliExpress platform, you’d be sure to witness a strong competition. Sometimes this leads to challenges in decision making or choosing the right supplier.
- Limited shipping control: you’re entirely dependent on the supplier to give accurate tracking information and fulfill orders.
- Inconsistent product quality: while AliExpress tries so hard to ensure products sold by suppliers meet the set standards, you can’t rule out the chance of inconsistent product quality. Some suppliers don’t provide high-quality products, which may lead to complaints from customers.
- Extended shipping times: the shipping times may range between weeks and months. This can create impatience and dissatisfaction.
Advantages of DHgate for Dropshipping
The primary advantages of using DHgate for Dropshipping include the following:
- Responsive customer service: you can easily resolve any issues you encounter with their highly responsive customer service team.
- Buyer protection: in case of damaged, low-quality, or lost items, you can get a refund from DHgate.
- Fast shipping: because of several partnerships with shipping carriers, you can expect a faster shipping process with DHgate.
- Ease of use: this platform is not only user-friendly, but also straightforward.
- Quality products: the products on this platform are of superb quality standards.
- Low pricing: their lower prices ensures you boost your profits while purchasing wholesale goods.
- Large product base: DHgate has an extensive list of products from varied categories. It makes it easier for buyers to get their desired products even for niche audiences.
Disadvantages of DHgate for Dropshipping
Here are some of the disadvantages of using DHgate for Dropshipping:
- Limited branding opportunities: unlike AliExpress, DHgate doesn’t offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to product branding before packaging. Thus, building brand recognition and loyalty may be a little harder on DHgate.
- Import taxes: these taxes often add to the total cost of the purchase, and vary from country to country.
- Language barrier: this is a problem that cuts across DHgate and AliExpress. Because the suppliers are based in China, some may have difficulties speaking English fluently. This can lead to misunderstandings and delays.
- Quality control: issues with refunds and returns are present for some suppliers on DHgate.
- Shipping times: depending on various factors both from DHgate’s control and beyond, shipping times tend to vary. Delays can occur, which often become frustrating to businesses.
- High competitiveness: with the presence of numerous suppliers across DHgate’s platform, it can be challenging to make a decision and settle on the right one.
Dropshipping on AliExpress and DHgate: Tips for Beginners
As a beginner in Dropshipping, the murky waters can seem too challenging to handle. But that’s why we are here to help you start. In the long run, Dropshipping is a good way to make money online.
We’ve compiled a detailed list of tips that can help you out when you’re just beginning your Dropshipping business. Find them below:
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends: check out what’s new or working and any potential changes in customer preferences. This will ensure you stay ahead of the competition always.
- Monitor your finances: ensure you have an accurate record of your sales, expenses, and profits. With this, understanding your financial performance and growth gets less-complicated. It also helps when making decisions.
- Offer excellent customer service: the customer is king in Dropshipping. Any inquiries or complaints from clients need urgent intervention. Also, ensure that you answer clients professionally to build trust and encourage repeat purchases.
- Give clients competitive pricing: research what the competition is charging and make your prices competitive. To encourage additional sales, offer discounts and promotions from time to time.
- Carry out website SEO (Search Engine Optimization): using SEO best practices, you can make your website rank higher on search engines. This involves the use of Meta descriptions, appropriate keywords, and optimizing website speed and mobile-effectiveness. If you can’t do it on your own, hire a professional to help.
- Ensure your website looks professional: clients will get turned off by a website that’s poorly configured. It makes it harder for them to access what they want. Ensure you leave a lasting first impression when customers visit your website. Do this by using high-quality images, professional product descriptions, and user-friendly layouts.
- Test products prior to selling: to avoid dissatisfaction due to product disappointments, test them prior to selling.
- Locate reliable suppliers: part of building a successful Dropshipping business is finding appropriate suppliers. Ensure you check their online reputation and customer reviews to evaluate eligibility. Also, take some time and analyze their terms and policies to ensure that they match your business needs.
- Research and choose your niche: you will need to consider two factors when researching an appropriate niche – market demand and your passion. Understand your target audience and see what would be most appropriate.
- Check the shipping time: it should align with what you have promised your customers.
- Confirm the return policy: different sellers have their distinct return policies. Read carefully before committing.
In summary, both AliExpress and DHgate have their advantages and disadvantages. Both are popular marketplaces that can link you to appropriate suppliers of goods. Your needs and preferences dictate which choice to go with between DHgate and AliExpress.
While choosing between AliExpress and DHgate, also remember that the latter is most-ideal for wholesale, while AliExpress is best for smaller product quantities.
In addition, both platforms offer quality products and buyer protection. However, AliExpress has a better and faster buyer protection resolution than DHgate.
AliExpress is forefront in terms of pricing, shipping options, ease of use and choice, and product diversity. Globallyfulfill will help you in the quality inspection, warehouse storage, product packaging, brand customization, and logistics, among many other Dropshipping needs.
In the end, it’s up to you to choose the platform that aligns with your business or personal preferences.
FAQs about AliExpress vs DHgate
Does DHgate Sell Fake Brands?
DHgate strives to ensure a safe and professional marketplace for all. However, it is still possible to find a few suppliers offering replica or fake products. Nonetheless, DHgate uses measures intended to curb this practice, including a reporting system for buyers.
In all honesty, it can be rather challenging to completely guarantee zero counterfeit products on a large marketplace like DHgate. But that is why they have buyer protection solutions whenever you may encounter fake goods. As a buyer, avoid deals that sound too good to be true.
Which is More Reliable DHgate or AliExpress?
Both DHgate and AliExpress have their weaknesses and strengths when it comes to reliability. The choice of which platform is more reliable will depend on several factors, including the exact seller you’re purchasing from. The product you’re buying and your experiences will also have a role to play.
Also, when gauging reliability, consider the shipping options, payment flexibility, seller ratings and reviews, and selection of products.
Why is AliExpress Cheaper than DHgate?
AliExpress is cheaper than DHgate because of the following reasons:
- It has lower seller fees than DHgate.
- Shipping costs for certain products are lower on AliExpress than on DHgate.
- AliExpress has a wider product selection and supplier base. This higher competition often brings prices down. DHgate having fewer suppliers means that prices are typically higher.
- AliExpress has specialized in individual consumer sales, unlike DHgate, which has specialized in wholesale. This means that sellers on AliExpress typically charge lower prices while offering smaller quantities. You can get better pricing on DHgate when you have a bulk order.